Friday, June 4, 2010

Thoughts: Sunday, May 23, 2010 Cont.

After the Frida Kahlo Museum, we went to La Cantina to eat. I ordered tacos de arrechera sin queso (the tender steak that I've mentioned in a previous blog post) and a Sprite. The meal cost me 107 pesos. We ate outside on the patio, but it felt more like a greenhouse... not very pleasant. Luckily the ice was clean, so we were able to have cold beverages.



My steak tacos



Evan and Christina burning in the sun...


From there we walked through a local market, where I bought a toy drum for 100 pesos, and gave someone 5 pesos for a tip as he performed.

That night, would be the last night we would stay at the Hostal Cuija Coyoacan... :( *ultimate sad face* It took so long for us to become comfortable there. We actually started having conversations and watching televisino with Maria, a 77-year-old woman who worked there. One day, we had Spanish class with her. We counted up to twenty and then had a question and answer session. It was a lot of fun.

Anyways, so the last night was spent watching an international dance competition with Maria. We were watching it for a good two hours...and then Maria left to begin preparations for breakfast the next day. In the meantime, the Browns and Marcela brought out some healthy snacks: graham crackers and cheese, mango and capulines (capulines are small fruits, I think similar to cherries...but not quite sure) and mamey (which is a sweet, red fruit). It was good.




Mangoes and Capulines



Mmmm, Mamey

We had reflection and recollection and another dance off between Jacob and Sarah. I had created two cards for the people who took care of us at the hostal, one card for Monica and one card for Maria. I created the cards using watercolor paper from my own watercolor journal, not the one that Mr. Brown had given me. The images are of geckos because geckos or las cuijas seem to be the mascot of this establishment. I passed the cards around for everyone to sign, and then left them in the kitchen for Maria and Monica to see when it was time for Monday's breakfast.



My cards for Monica and Maria. ^-^'

After that, everyone headed off to begin packing because we would be moving into the heart of Mexico City on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment